Clean Up Likoma
The Foundation initiated Clean Up Likoma in 2018, which is a community-led project aimed at reducing the amount of single-use plastic waste on the island in Lake Malawi. The project developed and continues to run the waste collection infrastructure, alongside the dedicated efforts to build knowledge and educate school children on the importance of keeping Likoma clean.
Likoma Island has unfortunately not been spared the widespread use of disposable plastics, which remains an environmental and human health concern globally. Changing people’s behaviour does not happen overnight, so commitment and ongoing activities by the Clean Team have been necessary to ensure the long-term project goal is fully realised.
The team visits all 12 villages on Likoma spreading the information that plastics and litter can cause irreversible damage to food supply, subsistence living, and health. Working together with these communities, the Clean Team has dug rubbish pits and installed rubbish bins. The personal outreach from islander to islander has been incredibly well received and has complemented the team’s lobbying of the Traditional Authority and District Council.
Awareness initiatives and activities include:
- World Environment Day celebrations and high visibility community clean ups.
- Environmental education programs developed for and delivered to schools.
- Island-wide clean up competitions.
- Football league sponsored by Clean Up Likoma, where villages of the teams playing must be clean before each match commences.
- Awareness raising through community radio, billboards, and painted signage around the main town.
- Plastic recycling initiative developed as a sustainable livelihood and income generator for women.
- Film screenings on environmental issues.
With visible change occurring on Likoma Island, the project has been expanded to neighbouring Chizumulu Island. Rubbish bins have been installed in central areas and awareness is being built in collaboration with key community influencers.
Would you like to support this project?
You can make a donation via PayPal, Credit Card or contribute directly via this link.
Reference: Clean Up Likoma
Your donation will be allocated to this project from the Green Safaris Foundation. Thank you for your support!